Hoselitz Bleg

13 November 2007 at 1:03 am 8 comments

Can anyone point me to biographical or bibliographical resources on Bert F. Hoselitz? He is known to Austrian economists as the translator (with James Dingwall) of Menger’s Principles of Economics, but he was also an accomplished Chicago development economist who founded the journal Economic Development and Cultural Change. He was trained in Vienna (according to this brief note) but did not apparently have much contact with the Austrian school. I’m particularly interested in Hoselitz’s contributions to entrepreneurship theory.

Entry filed under: - Klein -, Austrian Economics, Entrepreneurship.

The Social Transformation of American Business Schools A Plea for Economic Education

• 1. REW  |  13 November 2007 at 11:54 am

Peter,

Begin your exploration with “The early History of Entrepreneurial History”, first published in the hard-to-find Explorations in Entrepreneurial History Vol 3 (1951) and reprinted in Spengler and Allen’s Essays in Economic Thought: Aristotle to Marshall , Rand McNally 1960.

His polyglot abilities make this a splendid read.

I have been trying to find the UN paper, “The Entrepreneurial Element of Economic Development”, but no luck over the past year.

• 2. Peter Klein  |  13 November 2007 at 12:03 pm

Wonderful, thanks. If anyone out there has a copy of the UN paper I’d be happy to host a PDF copy on our site.

• 3. Paolo Mariti  |  16 November 2007 at 12:45 pm

Peter,
    these are the entries under “Bert F. Hoselitz” available at the Library of University of Pisa.
    Best,
    paolo

1) Industrialisation et société : [actes de la conférence de Chicago sur les implications sociales de l’industrialisation et du changement technique, 15-22 septembre 1960 / publie sous la direction de Bert F. Hoselitz, Wilbert Ellis Moore. – S.l. : UNESCO, c1963. – 447 p. ;
    Autori second: I. Hoselitz, Bert F. II. Moore, Wilbert Ellis

2)Economics and the idea of mankind / edited by Bert F. Hoselitz. – New York ; London : Columbia University Press, 1965. – xxiv, 277 p. ; 22 cm

3)Theories of economic growth / by Bert F. Hoselitz … [et al.] ; Bert F. Hoselitz, editor – Nuova ed.. – New York : The Free Press ; London : Collier-Macmillan Limited, 1967. – 344 p. ; (A Free Press paperback)

Autori second: I. Hoselitz, Bert Frank

4) Economics of military occupation : selected problems / by Henry Simon Bloch and Bert F. Hoselitz. – Chicago : University of Chicago Press, 1944. – xii, 157 p.

5) Theories de la croissance economique / par B.F. Hoselitz … [et al.] ;textes presentes par Bert F. Hoselitz ; traduit Alain Bernard. – Paris : Dunod, 1970. – ix, 432 p. ;

6)The progress of underveloped areas /Alexander Gerschenkron…[et al.] ;ed. by Bert F. Hoselitz. – Chicago : University of Chicago Press, 1952. – x, 296 p. ;

7) The role of small industry in the process of economic growth / Japan byMiyihei Shinohara, India by Douglas Fisher ; under the direction of Bert F. Hoselitz. – Paris : Mouton, 1968. – xviii, 218 p. ;

8)Principles of economics / Carl Menger ; translated by James Dingwall and Bert F. Hoselitz ; with an introduction by F. A. Hayek. – Grove City : Libertarian Press, 1994. – 328 p. ;

• 4. Robert J. Wolfson, Prof Emer(econ) Syracuse Univ  |  31 January 2011 at 6:00 pm

I am rather late, but I just (1/31/20110) came across this inquiry so for what it is worth, here is some information, and a question or two of my own, about Bert Hoselitz. Bert was my teacher, good friend and mentor from 1947 until his death. During the year 1953-4 or 54-5 (during his Fellowship in Palo Alto, at the Center for Advanced Study of the Behavioral Sciences) I, along with Robert Merrill, ran ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT AND CULTURAL CHANGE, Merrill and I were acting co-editors. I can tell you much about Bert, but unfortunately not much about your inquiry. It was all many years ago, and my interests have shifted. I haven’t kept many of my, or Bert’s, things from those years. So . . .
    My main question about Bert is this: why isn’t there a significant Wikipedia entry about him? I am not a Wikipedia contributor, although I suppose it isn’t too difficult to become one. I would be willing to cooperate in the composition and submission of such an entry, if you are interested.
    Robert J. Wolfson

• 5. Randy  |  6 April 2011 at 6:00 pm

I found a copy of the UN paper after nearly 5 years of search. It was published in a collection of papers from a 1963 UN conference. I’ll ask for copyright permission from the publisher (now thrice removed by merger…)

• 6. Peter Klein  |  6 April 2011 at 8:25 pm

Fantastic, Randy, thanks.

• 7. Ross B Emmett  |  16 April 2011 at 7:05 pm

There is a biographical essay on Hoselitz in the new Elgar Companion to the Chicago School of Economics, edited by yours truly. The entry was written by David Mitch, at U-Maryland, Baltimore County. David did a lot of research on Hoselitz and would be a good source to consult.

• 8. Peter Klein  |  16 April 2011 at 9:15 pm

Thanks Ross, don’t know how I missed that!