B-School Naming Rights Up to $300 million

10 November 2008 at 11:05 am 10 comments

At Chicago, anyway, now home to the Booth School of Business.

Here’s an interesting (if slightly dated) Business Week story on B-school naming rights. Wisconsin has taken the most innovative approach, announcing earlier this year that in exchange for $85 million it would pledge not to name the school for 20 years

Here at Organizations and Markets we are committed to honest and open inquiry, free from restrictions imposed by corporate or individual sponsors. However, if you’d like to have this blog named after yourself, we’ll toss those principles right out the window. Send all inquiries to naming-rights@organizationsandmarkets.com.

Entry filed under: - Klein -, Education, Institutions.

Price Gouging: The Latest Victims Historical Origins of “Open Science”

• 1. Rafe  |  10 November 2008 at 8:58 pm

OK so you don’t really want the blog named after anyone. I will take my money and my name some place else.

• 2. spostrel  |  10 November 2008 at 9:48 pm

I bid $10.

• 3. REW  |  10 November 2008 at 11:27 pm

I bid $9. Dutch auction – right?

• 4. Andre Sammartino  |  11 November 2008 at 1:58 am

Can I pay in Australian dollars?

• 5. Rafe Champion  |  11 November 2008 at 3:11 pm

I should have mentioned that my name is Rafe Champion, so you could be called The Blog of Champions.
    So the Australian dollar has slipped, how about a bag of wool?

• 6. REW  |  11 November 2008 at 8:08 pm

Rafe, I suspect a sack of dags should suffice to buy the naming rights.

• 7. keith  |  12 November 2008 at 3:00 pm

Has UW-Madison demonstrated that there is a market for no markets?

• 8. David J. Miller  |  13 November 2008 at 1:28 am

As a younger alumn (graduated in 2001), its been interesting to read the emails/mailings from the school explaining the gift, Booth, and how to refer to the school going forward.

I don’t love his name, its not like Champion mentioned above. But I realize that $300 million is a ton of money in the b-school world. The school can do some amazing things with that kind of funding — namely continue to secure great faculty and grad students.

• 9. Rafe Champion  |  13 November 2008 at 7:04 am

And I thought you would be happy
    With my money and my name…

Shades of Silver Threads and Golden Needles

• 10. Peter Klein  |  13 November 2008 at 9:58 am

David, just think what we could do here with, say, a mere $3 million!